I attended my 20 year school reunion for Marist last night and it wasn’t the horror show I was kind of anticipating.
The greatest fear at all reunions I would guess is that everyone except you has kept in touch so you walk in to a room full of guys who know each other after 20 years and you don’t know most of them from posts of wood. Luckily for me, this competely irrational fear was unfounded and it seemed that the norm was the nobody kept in touch, even the guys who still (or have since) live very close to each other. Most of the guys I spoke to hadn’t seen each other since the 10 year reunion, in fact, I can’t remember speaking to anyone who’s kept in close contact with anyone else, awesome (I suppose)! (and, phew!)
I also had a problem which was common among the most I spoke to in that I could recognise a face but often couldn’t attach it to a name, I got some right first time (maybe 4-5) and some guys had changed so radically that I had no hope but the rest looked familiar (of course, duh), I either didn’t have much to do with them at school (which is likely) or my memory just failed me. There were a couple with amazing memories, I take my hat off to the guy (Hi, Matt) that remembered that I lived in WA before moving to Canberra and starting at Marist in year 9, I have trouble remembering that stuff!
Overall everyone I spoke to were pretty good guys, I assume the wankers all just stayed home (or I didn’t talk to them).
Here are some interesting statistics I gathered:
- I spoke to about less then 30% of the guys who attended (104 all up)
- about 80% of the guys I spoke to are now working in IT, some were hard core geeks, just like me (although, good thing or not I think I outgeeked them all, as if this list isn’t proof enough)
- about 95% are married with kids
- a lot are late starters, most I spoke to have kids under 6
- 10 out of our class of 150ish are now deceased, nobody seemed to have many details on how/when/what happened to most of the 10
- I think I overheard 6 are in jail, currently or previously
I didn’t get a chance to talk to some guys as much as I now realise I would have liked but I grabbed a few email addresses and I’ll catch up via email with the ones I can, and the rest, well, there’s always the 30 year reunion!