Had the 21 week ultrasound last night……It’s a boy!
I haven’t played an actual game on my xbox for about a year. I have it networked to my PC and use it to stream media content from there (music, video, pictures etc), it looks like Microsoft has finally caught up with the rest of the world and is offering a “legal” (i.e. without having to mod your xbox) way to do this via their Media Center Extender for Xbox.
Of course, at the end of the year this will all be redundant because it sounds like XBOX 360 will have this functionality, among other really cool features, built in – no price has been announced yet but looking at the specs the XBOX 360 may make my brand new $1500 PC look like a joke 🙁
Some features of XBOX 360 that blow me away:
- Customisable face plates (called “faces”) that let you change the entire external look of the unit. Don’t like the white immitation mac look? Change it to black! (or green, red, halo 2 or whatever theme you want)
- Universal Remote. Most likely sold seperately but the specs say this is a universal learning remote that lets you program in the functions of all your other home theatre equipment.
- Wireless controller that also supports the headset, wirelessly….wirelessly!
- Progessive scan DVD player out of the box..given past history the DVD players in consoles have sucked but I suspect that since Microsoft wants to replace all your other hi-fi gear with theirs that the XBOX 360 may do a better job of this..we’ll see.
- As mentioned above, out of the box the XBOX 360 has all the functionality of the current XBOX Media Centre (which you can only run if you have a modded xbox)..which is great!
I really should have avoided researching this, now I have to start saving up for one 🙂
In semi-related news, found an interesting page on PVR (Personal Video Recorder) in Australia
Found this through metafilter and it’s an amazing piece of art drawn completely in MSPaint. It got me to thinking back when Ian and I spend many many many hours reproducing album covers in MSPaint, my favourite was Def Leppard’s Hysteria and I think Ian did a great one of R.E.M.’s Out Of Time. Of course, I remember them being amazing works of art but they will most likely look like crap in the cold light of 2005.
I’ll dig thorugh my ancient CD backups and post them here if I can find them.